Jan 10, 2010

No walls to the Cell

No walls to the Cell


 

Mahmoud Darwish



Translated by: Denys Johnson-Davies/The Music of Human Flesh.


As usual
My cell saved me from death,
From the rust of intellect and being outwitted
By a spent idea.
On its ceiling I found the face of my freedom,
The orange grove
And the names of those who yesterday lost their names
On the soil of battlefields.

Now I shall confess-
How beautiful is confession!
So don’t feel sad on Sunday
But tell the village folk:
We’re putting off the wedding party
Tell the beginning of the next year.

The birds flee from my grasp
And the star recedes from me, the jasmine too,
And the number of those dancing grows less
Any your voice wilts before its time.
Yet my cell,
As usual,
Have saved me from death.
My cell-
On its ceiling I found the face of my freedom
And upon its wall your forehead glowed.




No comments:

Post a Comment